Qualifying applicants must be aged 21 or over and on one of the following for at least 6 months (156 days):
- Jobseeker’s Allowance or Benefit,
- Signing for Credits,
- One-Parent Family Payment,
- Disability Allowance,
- Illness Benefit,
- Invalidity Pension,
- Blind Pension,
- Deserted Wife's Allowance,
- Deserted Wife's Benefit,
- Widow's, Widowers or Surviving Civil Partner's Contributory or Non-Contributory Pension,
- Prisoners Wife's Allowance,
- The spouse of a qualifying person is also eligible.
The six months qualifying time may include time spent on SOLAS training courses, Community Employment, Job Initiative or time in prison or Youthreach may count towards the six month qualifying period.